12/07/2013

Bad Habits | How I Stopped Biting My Nails

I have been a nail biter since I was a little girl and it's a habit I just haven't been able to kick. It really is a disguising habit - you don't know what is under those nails or around your hands! It also makes wearing nail polish (especially putting pretty designs on them) not so easy. 

Over the years I have tried many different things to stop me from biting my nails. From the disguising tasting solution you put on your nails (I obviously didn't find the taste that bad because I kept biting them) to wearing fake nails (which actually make your nails worse and frail!) nothing seemed to work for an extended period of time. I would get stressed or busy at work and start biting them all over again! 

I have finally found a solution that seems to be working for me (so far!). First up, I found this Maximum Growth Daily Nail Growth Solution from Sally Hansen at my local supermarket.



 I was wary at first, as the disguisting nail biting treatment I mentioned earlier was actually a Sally Hensen product and it definitely did not deter me from biting my nails! I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. I use it as a base coat under my nail polish and have definitely been noticing how much stronger my nails are because of it. Biting my nails and using fake nails made my nails weak and if I tried to grow them, they would break easily. 

I also invested in one of these (for a whole $4!)


Every time I go to bite my nails, I get my nail file out and use it. It has definitely helped me get out of the mindset of biting my nails. I would recommend investing in a good quality nail file, and maybe even a pretty one to make you want to use it! 

My nail file has also helped me keep my nails at the perfect shape / length. 


I know this is not the best quality photo,  but you can see that I like to keep my nails just above the tips of my fingers. The longer they get, the more prone they are the to breaking, so for me, this length is perfect. I also like the look of square / flat top nails as I think they look more modern. 

Lastly, nail polish! 



Something about wearing colour on my nails stops them from looking like something I would like to chew on. You should always give your nails a break from nail polish, but I always like to wear it to work because that is where I am the most stressed and where I am more likely to bite my nails!

Ultimately you will have to find the solution that works for you. It won't be easy to stop, and don't expect it to happen overnight. It has taken me years to finally find out what's worked for me so stick in there! 

- J x

No comments:

Post a Comment